Videonystagmography (VNG) is used to test the inner ear for vestibular problems that can affect your balance.
Please plan to arrive at the Duluth office 15 minutes prior to your appointment to allow time for traffic and parking. Our office requires 48 hour notice for all cancellations and rescheduling. Failure to provide adequate notice will result in a $50 fee per test.
You must discontinue certain medications for 48 hours prior to your VNG test. These medications can alter the results of your test, which will delay your treatment. Below is a list of medications/substances to discontinue:
- Alcohol: beer, liquor, wine, cough medicine
- Caffeine: coffee, tea, soft drinks
- Pain Medications (all muscle relaxers, analgesics, narcotics): Codeine, Demerol, Phenaphen, Tylenol with codeine, Percocet, Darvocet, Lortab, Zanaflex
- Anti-histamines (cold and allergy medications): Chlor-trimeton, Dimetapp, Benadryl, Actifed, Triaminic, over the counter cold medicines (Clarinex and Claritin are allowed)
- Anti-seizure medicine (Consult your physician first!): Dilantin, Tegretol, Phenobarbital
- Anti-vertigo medicine: Meclizine (Antivert, Ru-vert, Dramamine), Phenergan
- Anti-nausea medicine: Atarax, Dramamine, Compazine, Antivert, Bucladin, Phenergan, Thorazine, Scapalomine, Transdermal
- Sedatives: Halcion, Restoril, Nembural, Seconal, Dalmane, Phenergan, or any sleeping pill (including Tylenol PM etc.)
- Tranquilizers: Valium, Librium, Atarax, Vistaril, Serax, Ativan, Librax, Tranzene, Xanex
- Tricyclic Antidepressants (Check with your prescribing physician to determine if you are allowed to discontinue any of these medications for 48 hours prior to your test. If you are not allowed to, or are unable to, please continue to take this medication): Amitriptyline, Elavil, Endep, Amoxapine, Asendin, Clomipramine, Anafranil, Desipramine, Norpramin, Pertofran.
Do continue to take your medications for long term conditions such as blood pressure medications, heart medications, and cholesterol. Also continue thyroid medications, regular Tylenol, aspirin, insulin, estrogen, and antibiotics for infection. Please contact your physician with any questions you may have regarding medications.
Please eat lightly for 12 hours prior to your appointment. If your appointment is in the morning you may have a light breakfast, such as toast and juice. If your appointment is in the afternoon, please have only a light snack for lunch. Remember to avoid caffeine in beverages! The above medicines are not all inclusive. Please call with any questions regarding your medications.
Please do NOT wear any make up, or you will be asked to remove it prior to testing.
Please do NOT wear contact lenses. Bring a case with you to take them out, or bring your glasses.
Testing may cause some lingering dizziness. If possible, have someone accompany you to the appointment to drive you home. If this is not possible, please allow about 15 to 30 minutes after your test before leaving the office.